See The Ambassador rising:
It’s freeway-close off 580W in Emeryville
If you see it rising above Highway 580, you might think that the traffic noise would be unbearable for the future residents of The Ambassador, new family housing in Emeryville. It’s very close to the freeway.
Instead, The Ambassador will provide a comfortable and unique urban environment for residents.
When it’s completed in October of this year, residents of the 68 new homes will benefit from thoughtful design and careful selection of building materials. This will reduce the noise to a whisper, which allows us to re-purpose and re-use an in-fill site for affordable housing.
Given the proximity of 18 of the units to the freeway, the building wall needed acoustically appropriate materials to provide maximum insulation from noise. The exterior of the building facing the freeway was designed and built with an acoustic clip which has two layers of extra wallboard attached to it, isolating and insulating the residential units from the freeway noise. The windows are soundproof aluminum frames with insulated glazing and a Sound Transmission Class (STC) rating of 42-46. By comparison, the average STC value for a double glazed window is about 28.
“Building code requires that we reduce the noise level inside the units. This is where technology and building materials make it possible to meet code and put great housing at what was once the site of a commercial laundry,” notes David Dunlop of Segue Construction, general contractor at The Ambassador.
“The outcome is stunning,” says Kava Massih. From the inside of the units, even without the final siding, the cars and the freeway are visible but it sounds like the “mute” button has been pushed; you see the image but hear no sound.”
The leasing process for The Ambassador will begin in early May. Application information will be available on the RCD website under “Looking for Housing?” and will include the deadline for applications. We expect great interest in this amazing property.
Thanks for being among the many people who are helping to create this new housing opportunity for low-income families and individuals through your support of our mission!
About The Ambassador
- 68 units from studio to three bedroom
- Average square footage from 445 to 1115 square feet
- For households with income from 30 to 50% of the Area Median Income (approximately $28,050 to $46,750 for a four person household)
- Community room with space for meetings and special events, kitchen, and multimedia equipment
- Computer learning center
- On-site resident support services
- Lushly landscaped courtyard and raised planters for residents’ use
- Children’s garden and playground with an adjacent youth activity room
- Secure on-site parking
- Within walking distance of Bay Bridge Shopping Center, Big Daddy’s Park, Fitzgerald Street Park and community garden, and Poplar Recreation Center
- Easy access to AC Transit bus service, Emery Go-Round transportation to BART, and Emeryville Amtrak Station